Friday, August 24, 2007

Fran: I'm in the mood for fall...


Okay, I promised I'd post a recipe so I thought I'd start with one my family really likes since I'm in the mood for Fall! (No groaning Cora! )

Cheeseburger Soup

1/2 pound ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp basil
3 cups chicken broth (Cora, use vegetable or beef broth)
4 cups cubed potatoes
1/4 cup flour
4 TBS butter
2 cups cubed cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sour cream

Melt 1 TBS butter; add beef and vegetables, cook and stir until beef is no longer pink. Stir in parsley, basil, broth and potatoes. Boil and simmer until potatoes are tender (10-12 minutes). In a separate saucepan or using the microwave melt remaining butter and stir in flour. Add milk, stirring until smooth. Gradually add to the soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Mix in cheese, stirring until melted. Add sour cream; stir until heated through (DO NOT BOIL).

This recipe can be slimmed down by using low or nonfat ingredients in place of the full fat version. It is very good with cheesey biscuits (which I will post later) and a salad if you want more than just soup. All of my kids and my husband like this soup (which is saying a lot!)

6 comments:

shannon said...

Ooh, that sounds so good, Fran! I'm with you--fall can't get here quickly enough for me. :)

Thanks for the recipe!

Kim said...

Sounds great! I really like Taco Soup so I'll definitely give this a try. :) Thanks!

Cora said...

You know I am not quite ready for soup as I will be bar-b-q-ing well into September. But I will keep this recipe for, say, December or January :)

suzzanne said...

I agree with Cora! Maybe late October...

Laurie said...

Thanks Fran, this does sound good. It's so cool that we can share recipes! Only thing that would make it better, would be sample tastes as we're reading them.

Sylvia said...

Fran, I am such a soup lover! I'm not much of a cook but there is something about a yummy pot of soup simmering on the stove! I even make soup in the dead of summer if it's a rainy day. Your recipe sounds delightful! Thanks! Love you!