Friday, February 8, 2008

Shannon: A Chance to Serve


I caught a little segment about Kathy Holmgren (wife of Seahawks' coach, Mike) early this morning. I've known from previous newsclips that she's very active in overseas missions and has missed many of her husband's games over the years because of trips she's taken to offer humanitarian aid. But this morning, they highlighted one of her local ministries.

Kathy, who has three health-care related master's degrees, works three days a week as a community health nurse (mostly for the homeless) at the Pike Market Medical Clinic. This morning, they showed her sitting cross-legged on the clinic floor, bathing and tending to the feet of a homeless man.

"I never feel more like a Christian than when I'm doing this," she said.

There was a beauty and a poignancy to the sight of Kathy bending over that man's feet that I'm not sure I can put to words. I doubt she knows the effect it had on those of us who watched.

Today, few of us will have an opportunity to bathe someone's feet. But all of us will have an opportunity to serve.

What might you do for Jesus today?

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Thank you Shannon for the great reminder! I forget what this means, sometimes. The Lord was showing me in this, to reach out where you see a need.
Let each of us look out not only for our own interests, but also for the interests of others. Phil. 2:4